Compared with the Canon PIXMA mini 260, which is also a portable postcard printer, the Canon Selphy CP720 is half the size and less than half the weight. However, once you add the paper tray and leave enough room for the paper to exit and re-enter the back of the printer, the CP720’s footprint is actually larger that the mini 260’s.
The exit and re-entry slots are needed because the Canon Selphy CP720 is a dye-sub printer rather than an inkjet. The special paper needs to pass through the printer four times in total. During the first three passes, different colours of dye are fused on to the paper and the fourth pass adds a highly effective glossy, protective sealant. Even with all this ‘to-ing and fro-ing’ going on, 10x15cm prints take only one minute flat to produce.
The Canon Selphy CP720’s standalone image enhancements aren’t anything like as sophisticated as those built in to the PIXMA but you do still get a 1.5-inch LCD, which makes printing from flash memory cards a doddle, using the built-in multi-format card reader. As you’d expect, there’s also PictBridge support for compatible cameras and a handy pull-out mini-USB cable for direct connection to your camera.
For high-contrast, vividly coloured shots, the image quality of the Canon Selphy CP720 wasn’t quite as good as the PIXMA. Dye-sub printers make durable prints but not as vibrant ones as an inkjet.
For instance, with skin tones the dye-sub produces rather greyish, lifeless colours which were far less flattering than the PIXMA’s 10x15cm print. The cost is also slightly higher at 33p per print. On balance, the Canon Selphy CP720 would definitely be our second choice of the two.
Canon Selphy CP720 Printer Specifications
- Printer Type Compact photo printer – dye sublimation – color
- Technology dye sublimation
- Print Speed Up to 1 min/page – photo – 3.95 in x 5.83 in
- Up to 1.2 min/page – photo – 3.9 in x 7.9 in
- Up to 0.5 min/page – photo – 3.4 in x 2.13 in
- Built-in Devices preview screen
- Preview Screen Size 1.5″
- Connectivity Technology wired
- Interface USB
- Direct Printing Specifications Canon Direct Print, PictBridge
- Printer Features borderless printing
- Type compact photo printer
- Portable portable
- Max H-Document Size 3.95 m
- Max V-Document Size 7.87 in
- Media Type business cards, photo paper, photo stickers, postal card paper
- Media Sizes 0.7 in x 0.9 in, 2 in x 2.625 in, 2.1 in x 3.4 in, 3.95 in x 5.83 in
- Card / Label Sizes 0.68 in x 0.87 in, 2.0 in x 2.6 in, 2.13 in x 3.4 in, 3.6 in x 4.8 in, 3.94 in x 7.87 in, Hagaki Card (3.93 in x 5.83 in), US 4 x 6 Card (4 in x 6 in)
- Type power adapter
- Form Factor external
- Microsoft Certifications Compatible with Windows 7
- Preview Screen Size (metric) 3.8 cm
- Max Resolution Color 300 dpi
- Type card reader
- Supported Flash Memory Cards CompactFlash Card type II, Memory Stick PRO, SD Memory Card
- Max Media Size (Custom) 3.95 in x 7.87 in
- Media Type Photo paper, postal card paper, business cards, photo stickers
- Card / Label Sizes US 4 x 6 Card (4 in x 6 in), Hagaki Card (3.93 in x 5.83 in), 2.13 in x 3.4 in, 0.68 in x 0.87 in, 2.0 in x 2.6 in, 3.6 in x 4.8 in, 3.94 in x 7.87 in
- Media Sizes 3.95 in x 5.83 in, 2.1 in x 3.4 in, 0.7 in x 0.9 in, 2 in x 2.625 in
- OS Required Apple MacOS X 10.2 – 10.4.x, Microsoft Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
- Copier Type none
- Min Operating Temperature 41 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 104 °F
- Humidity Range Operating 20 – 80%
DOCUMENT & MEDIA HANDLING
- Media Type Class other, photo paper
- Media Size Class Other
- Brand Canon
- Product Line Canon SELPHY
- Model CP720
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Compatibility Mac, PC
- Type printer
- Functions printer
- Printing Technology dye sublimation
- Printing Output Type color
- Connector Type 4 pin USB Type A
- Type USB, direct print port
- Total Qty 1
- Type none
- Type none
- Max Speed 0.5 min/page, 1 min/page, 1.2 min/page
- Media Size 3.4 in x 2.13 in, 3.9 in x 7.9 in, 3.95 in x 5.83 in
- Output Quality photo
- Type Canon Easy-PhotoPrint, Canon ImageBrowser, Canon PhotoStitch, Canon ZoomBrowser EX, Drivers & Utilities
DIMENSIONS & WEIGHT
- Width 7 in
- Depth 4.9 in
- Height 2.5 in
- Weight 2.05 lbs
- PC Connection USB
Canon Selphy CP720 Operating System Compatibility:
Windows7 / Windows 7 (x64) / Windows 8.1 / Windows 8.1 (x64) / Windows 8 / Windows 8 (x64) / Windows Vista / Windows Vista (x64) / Windows XP / Windows XP (x64) / Macintosh / Mac OS X (10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10) / Linux.
Canon SELPHY CP720 Print Driver for Windows 7 64bit 4.0 1.24 MB~~~>>> Download
Canon SELPHY CP720 Print Driver for Windows 7 32bit 4.0 1.16 MB~~~>>> Download
Canon SELPHY CP720 Print Driver for Windows Vista 3.4 1.32 MB ~~~>>>Download
Canon SELPHY CP720 Print Driver for Windows Vista 64bit 1.2 1.39 MB~~~>>> Download
Canon SELPHY CP720 Print Driver for Windows 3.3.0 2.19 MB~~~>>> Download
Canon Selphy CP720 Software & Driver Setup
Procedure 1: Driver Setup of Canon Selphy CP720 via Free Download
Through this procedure, the setup of Canon Selphy CP720 is performed with a so-called Automatic Wizard as you eliminate CD,
However you have to;
- Provide Canon Selphy CP720 software file or its driver setup, which you can download from the link below.
- Have USB cable is essential for its function to connect both the printer device and the computer. USB cable is available in the printer box.
Afterward, pay attention toward the steps below to setup Canon Selphy CP720
- Switch ON both Canon Selphy CP720 and your computer.
- Only if it is requested, you can connect the USB cable of Canon Selphy
- You can download the setup file, then install it anytime you want it by considering the step-by-step of the setup.
- Done with the setup, now you can pair Canon Selphy CP720 USB cable with your computer. The wizard then will proceed the USB cable to ensure that both devices are properly connected. Another step-by-step for the setup will appear.
- You have to follow the setup instructions to complete the setup.
- Finish with the setup, Canon Selphy CP720 is ready to use.
Procedure 2: To Setup Manually Canon Selphy CP720
Determine this procedure, “Add a printer” function that is an inbuilt feature of Windows is necessary.
Things to do:
- Download Canon Selphy CP720 software file, if you don’t have on your system. Rest assured, the link is available below.
- You need Canon Selphy CP720 USB cable to proceed the set up.
- Switch ON both Canon Selphy CP720 and your computer.
- Connect both devices above with Canon USB cable
- Prior the setup, you have to extract the downloaded file that is stored in TEMP folder.
- If your device operating system is XP, hit Fax and Printer” section. However, if you use Vista or Windows 7, find Control Panel, then hit “View Devices and Printer”.
- Move your mouse, then hit “Add a printer” feature.
- Keep in mind that you only give the path to the aforesaid feature, only if the feature is customized and ready.
- The instruction will pop-up, to complete the set up, you need only to follow the instructions.
- You finish the installation, Canon Selphy CP720 will proceed your command smoothly.
Procedure 3: To Setup Canon Selphy CP720 via Software CD
The setting up of Canon Selphy CP720 with Automatic Wizard/Software CD
Ensure You Have:
- DVD/CD drive should be installed on your computer.
- Check your printer package to find Canon Selphy CP720 software CD.
- You need the USB cable that you can find within the package.
Comply the below mentioned instructions to finish Canon Selphy CP720 setup with Software CD.
- Make sure that your devices Canon Selphy CP720 , and computer are ON.
- Before, it’s requested, connecting both devices using Canon Selphy CP720 are not allowed.
- Infix the Software CD of Canon Selphy CP720 to the computer DVD/CD drive. Follow the step-by-step instructions which are necessary for the setup.
- You can connect now the USB Cable of your printer Canon Selphy CP720 to your computer, when you are instructed to.
- It takes some time until Canon Selphy CP720 USB cable is detected by your computer. Instructions for the installation will appear afterward, you have to execute each step to complete the installation.
- At the moment the installation is complete, you can print with your Canon Selphy CP720 , immediately.